Friday, July 9, 2010

Things I have learned while training for a 1/2 Ironman

1. It's hard training on your own. Yes, I had a training plan, a good one it seemed, but it would have been so much easier training with a group for all three events. Next year I am joining a local team. They have planned workouts and have an awesome coach that I have talked with before.

2. Nutrition, Nutrition, Nutrition. Triathlons fourth event! I started thinking that what I was doing on my own was not working. So I talked to a tri coach and he fed my mind with way too much information three weeks before my race, and I am hoping to god that my not so thought through nutrition plan will work.

3. Wetsuits: We have had one cold spring. Not enough warm temps. to warm up the lake. Lake temp. as of last week was 62. I reserved my wetsuit for race day weekend, but I have never swam in one during a race. I guess that is what race day is for...practice ;)

4.Bike: I LOVE my bike and I LOVE biking! I have actually been able to ride my bike much more than I ever have and I have so much fun, every single time! I went out on my last long ride on Wednesday, it may have been a little slow thanks to a headwind but I loved it!

5. The Run: I am really starting to feel very confident in my running! Yay! However, I have never run 13.1 miles after a 56 mile bike ride, that scares me. And I have to confess, I have only done one brick workout (see what I mean, I need a team and a coach!). But, I do have a sprint tri this weekend and that is where I will get to squeeze in a second brick!!

6. I feel great! I have made it through training with:
Zero injuries!
One cold
Hives and an epi-pen
A brand new speedy, awesome bike!
Very little swimming
LOTS AND LOTS of running!
A skinnier me!
A Smaller bra size!
A huge sense of accomplishment!
Knowing I can do anything...even without a team or coach!

7 days and counting until race day! I am nervous but I can't wait to get it done once and for all!

4 comments:

  1. All the hard work is done...you're almost there! I'm so excited for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the good work! You'll be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you have enjoyed the training so much. Now make sure you taper down and rock the race!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the attention and structure of organized group and tem training. When i was in college i was jealous of the athletes for the level of taining they got.

    ReplyDelete

 
Health Blogger