Sunday, May 30, 2010
After a VERY difficult first marathon including tears the last two miles my mom and I have decided to give it another try! When I finished the first time I swore I would never do another, well here we are again! The race will take place Thanksgiving weekend, so we have plenty of time to get ready! This year I will be running more during the week instead of once and then a long run on the weekend. Yeah, that wasn't smart!
In the meantime I have the half-ironman to train for. Everything is going well despite not being on the bike as much as I would like. I think I may just have to do some riding in the rain. It will make me tougher... right??
Thursday, May 27, 2010
I decided I wanted to see what my 100 yard pace was for a long timed swim and a great way to do that was to swim constantly for 30 minutes. I was a little worried that someone would join me in my lane and screw up my time and make me slow down, the pool at the Y is like that when you swim in the afternoon. But I was blessed with my own lane for my entire workout.
I started with a very easy warm-up , 200 swim, 200 kick, 200 pull, 200 kick. After the warm-up I started my swim. I started cautiously because I wanted to make sure I could do this without stopping. I was able to pick up my pace the last part of the swim because I felt great! I finished strong with 200o yards which is a 1:30 per 100 yard pace. I was pretty happy with that pace given I am not at the pool very often. This set is able to tell me what my pace should be when I do interval workouts and long swims. There is definitely room for improvement but it's OK if I continue not to swim as much as I thought I would need to.
Today, I was able to finally go on a short ride 19 mile ride and I ended with a 15 minute run. First brick workout in a long time, I actually felt fine, I probably could have kept running! That's a good sign I guess!
Sunday, May 23, 2010
Two weeks ago I signed myself up for the Kirkland half marathon on Mother's day morning. I signed up a week before. I wanted to see how I would do given the fact I have been running a lot but my distances are pretty short, about 7 miles.
I showed up to the race without my usual entourage; mom and husband. I was all by myself, I really missed them :( I had no clue how hilly this half was going to be. The first 6 miles were all up hill and the last half there were quite a few shorter steeper hills. I didn't PR but I had the same time as my last half marathon which was all flat. So in my mind I think I would have done great if this course was flat! I had a great time and finished and felt good about where I stand in terms of my half marathon.
Girls on the Run 5k! This race was so fun! It is the culminating experience for girls who have been part of this program. It was an untimed race but I brought along my watch to get an unofficial time. There were so many kids at the start it was impossible to go fast so my mom and I decided to take it easy, the race wasn't for us! It was so neat to hear all of the encouraging words from the coaches to the girls they were coaching. That was the best part!
I ended up beating my mom at the end. I tricked her. I told her to go ahead of me and then I caught up to her at the finish and passed her! Sneaky, sneaky me!
I'm trying to think of a swimming tip of the week, it's been awhile. Any ideas or things you want to know??
Tuesday, May 4, 2010
1. Run in at least two more marathons, I would be happy with one as I have found it's pretty tough on my body. I want to run in 4:30 or faster. Need to find a race or two and sign up.
2. PR in a 5k. I can't believe how long it's been since I have PRd in a 5k. I am embarrassed to admit that my best time is only 28 minutes... yeah, I'm slow! Check! I have another 5k coming up May 22, except it's untimed. Will it still count if I use my own watch? I would like to go a :26 or faster!
3. PR in a half marathon. I think the 1/2 is the best race distance. I need to go faster than a 2:13. So far the last three 1/2s I have done have all gotten slower. Here is to a fast 2010 for my half marathon. I am on the fence about doing a half marthon this weekend. I'm not really ready, but it would be nice for a training run and perhaps a PR!
4. Sign up for and finish my first half ironman. I just got a new bike trainer and I am hoping that will keep me in bike shape until I can get outside. Well I have signed up for this race and I am scared to death! Now I just need to finish and finish strong!
5. Swim a sub 6 minute 500 free at a masters meet! I haven't done this since high school. I think I can do it for sure. My first meet in 2010 is in April. It would be helpful to achieve this goal if I actually signed up for a swim meet!
New 2010 Goals:
6. Sign up for a 10k. I've never done one before.
7. Get a PR in a sprint triathlon. I need to go faster than a 1:29. I think I can smash that this summer!
8. Get a new PR in an Olympic distance tri.
That is enough for now!! I'll update in a few months!