Sunday, May 23, 2010

Half Marathon and 5k!

Well, I have been super busy with work and training lately that I haven't blogged in quite awhile.

Two weeks ago I signed myself up for the Kirkland half marathon on Mother's day morning. I signed up a week before. I wanted to see how I would do given the fact I have been running a lot but my distances are pretty short, about 7 miles.

I showed up to the race without my usual entourage; mom and husband. I was all by myself, I really missed them :( I had no clue how hilly this half was going to be. The first 6 miles were all up hill and the last half there were quite a few shorter steeper hills. I didn't PR but I had the same time as my last half marathon which was all flat. So in my mind I think I would have done great if this course was flat! I had a great time and finished and felt good about where I stand in terms of my half marathon.

Girls on the Run 5k! This race was so fun! It is the culminating experience for girls who have been part of this program. It was an untimed race but I brought along my watch to get an unofficial time. There were so many kids at the start it was impossible to go fast so my mom and I decided to take it easy, the race wasn't for us! It was so neat to hear all of the encouraging words from the coaches to the girls they were coaching. That was the best part!

I ended up beating my mom at the end. I tricked her. I told her to go ahead of me and then I caught up to her at the finish and passed her! Sneaky, sneaky me!

I'm trying to think of a swimming tip of the week, it's been awhile. Any ideas or things you want to know??

Happy training!

2 comments:

  1. I ran the Kirkland as well, I knew the first part was going to be hilly but I was about ready to beat someone senseless when I hit that last short, steep hill. I think it was a fun race though, and the weather was AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! I ran my first half today, and volunteered at a Girls on the Run 5K here a few weeks ago. It is really a wonderful program!

    ReplyDelete

 
Health Blogger