Thursday, June 25, 2009

Team Whimsy Starts Training!


The Marathon:

About a month ago my mom and I signed up for our first marathon (Seattle)! Official training began today. We have decided to go with Jeff Galloway's training method, because our goal is to train and finish without injury.  Today we ran for 45 minutes at Greenlake and did a 4 minute run and 1 minute walk, about a 9 minute mile pace. I love taking walk breaks and well, my mom does not but I think the farther we get into our training the more mom will want to take breaks. 

We also bought super cool pink fuel belts today so we can be ready when those long runs come around!

Team Whimsy Running History:

Mom: Has been running for a very long time. She is super fast and one day I will be faster than her. That's right my 58 year old mother is faster then her 32 year old daughter! For her second half marathon (Mercer Island Half) she was first in her age group!! Go mom, go!! She is my running inspiration! 

Me: I have been running for about 5 years. At the begging of my mom I signed up for my first 5k. The Jingle Bell dash in Seattle. Training was horrible, I could barely run 10 feet without being out of breath. I hated every single minute of it. My first 5k time was about 46 minutes. I AM the queen of complaining too! Every time I run something isn't right, but my mom is used to it and we just keep going!

I can't say that I love running like my mom does but I certainly have improved and my 5k time is now down to 28 minutes. Again, not super fast but much better. I would rather be in the pool swimming for 2 hours than running. But I love running with my mom and plus we get coffee after our runs. 

Training for the next few days:

Friday: rest day (already!), I plan on going on a bike ride as I have a triathlon coming up in mid-July. Mom probably won't be resting either!

Saturday: 5 mile run and I have to hit the pool for more tri training!

Let the Marathoning begin!!!

3 comments:

  1. You can do it! I used Hal Higdon for my first, and finished sub-4 hours...total shock on that, but I'll take it.

    Your mom is inspirational!

    And, I totally rock the pink Helium fuel belt. :)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GL to you and your mom!

    I have a boring black and yellow New Balance fuel belt - I'm jealous of your pink fuel belt! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Health Blogger